Thursday, December 21, 2017. Challenging an incumbent like Louis Gohmert is no easy task, which is why we're so grateful to you and our other dedicated supporters for spreading the word about our campaign. One simple thing you can do to get Brent's name and his positions on key issues into the minds of voters is to write a letter to the editor and submit it to your local newspaper. (To read about Brent's positions on the issues, please go to www.beal2018.com/issues.)
Before you start, you might want to get some tips and tricks about writing an effective letter to the editor that has a greater chance of being published. You can find a list of useful guidelines at www.ncte.org/action/write. You can also read an excellent example of a letter to the editor, written by Mike Lewis, our Campaign Committee Chair, and recently published in the Longview News-Journal, at www.news-journal.com/news/2017/dec/05/letters-on-tax-bill-electoral-college-medicare-shi/.
Keep in mind that local newspapers want letters from residents in their coverage area, so make sure to submit your letter to a newspaper that serves your city or county. Use the online forms or email addresses linked below to submit your letter. If no word count is specified, limit your letter to 200 words. When sending to an email address, please write "Letter to the Editor" in the subject line, and sign the email with your full name, mailing address, and telephone number so the editor can verify your identity and contact you if necessary. Only your name and city will be printed in the newspaper if your letter is published.
- Bullard Banner News (Bullard and surrounding areas)—email@example.com
- The Daily Sentinel (Nacogdoches County)—https://dailysentinel.com/site/forms/online_services/letter/ (350-word limit)
- Henderson Daily News (Rusk County)—https://www.hendersondailynews.com/site/forms/online_services/letter/
- The Journal (Big Sandy, Fouke, Harmony, Hawkins, Holly Lake, Pritchett, Winona and surrounding areas)—http://thejournal.biz/submit-a-story/
- Kilgore News Herald (Kilgore and surrounding areas)—firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Light and Champion (Shelby County)—https://www.lightandchampion.com/letter-editor
- Lindale News & Times (Lindale and surrounding areas)—email@example.com (500-word limit)
- Longview News-Journal (Gregg County)—https://www.news-journal.com/letters-to-editor/submit/ (200-word limit)
- The Lufkin News (Angelina County)—https://lufkindailynews.com/site/forms/online_services/letter_to_the_editor/ (350-word limit)
- The Marshall News Messenger (Harrison County)—https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/letters-to-editor/submit/ (200-word limit)
- The Panola Watchman (Panola County)—https://www.panolawatchman.com/letters-to-editor/submit/ (200-word limit)
- Tri County Leader (Whitehouse and surrounding areas)—firstname.lastname@example.org (500-word limit)
- Tyler Morning Telegraph (Smith County)—email@example.com (350-word limit)
- Wood County Monitor (Wood County)—firstname.lastname@example.org (350-word limit)
If you need help finding submission details or contact information for a local newspaper that isn't listed above, feel free to email me at email@example.com.
To donate, please go to www.beal2018.com/donate.
And from all of us in the campaign, happy holidays!
Kimberly Brinkerhoff Baptista
Brent Beal for Congress